Our theme this year will be Women, Justice, and the Justice System. We will be looking at the ways that gender impacts women’s access of the justice system, and are treated within the justice system, as well as how gender intersects with race, age, class, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, and more.
We are absolutely amazed at the fantastic women that will be in attendance this year. We are working on a fantastic keynote speaker – to be announced soon!
Two panels will be featured to support our theme.
The first panel of speakers will focus on women who are victims of crimes, such as domestic violence or sexual assault, and how their gender and any other identities affect their ability to access the justice system. Speakers include:
– Amanda Pyron, Battered Women’s Network
– Colleen Zavodny, YWCA
– Nancy Mullen, Youth Outlook
– Vicki Smith, Executive Director, Illinois Coalition Against Domestic Violence
– Illinois Coalition Against Sexual Assault
The second panel will focus on women with in the justice system, who have been charged or convicted of a crime, and how gender and any other identities impact their experiences within the justice system and discriminatory treatment. Speakers include:
– Deanne Benos, co-founder, Women’s Justice Institute
– Coalition to End Money Bond
– Kandice Harris, Center for Racial and Gender Equity
– Korynna Lopez, Illinois Justice Project
– Believer’s Bail Out
– Ruth Brown, attorney, Amicus Brief being filed against Lincoln Correctional Center
We will also be honoring Rep. Kelly Cassidy and Sen. Melinda Bush for their amazing work and leadership on two big pieces of legislature this year: the reproductive health bill and legalizing marijuana.
Finally, this is an election year for Illinois NOW officers, so we will be holding elections; plus, as always, snacks and beverages, silent auction, and awards. We hope you will join us for this fantastic conference!